Converting beacon to Eddystone format

A post on google developers blog (http://googledevelopers.blogspot.com.br/2015/07/lighting-way-with-ble-beacons.html) mentions it is possible to convert an existing BLE beacon to Eddystone format (section “Eddystone for beacon manufacturers: Single hardware for multiple platforms”).

Do you have any instructions on how to do this with Estimote beacons? Is there a firmware update solution that workds with any BLE beacon or at least an Estimote-specific firmware update?

Thanks and regards,

Paulo

Yes, you can have your existing Estimote Beacons broadcast the Eddystone format:

1. Update firmware to version 3.1.1.
  2. Change the broadcasting scheme from “iBeacon” to “Eddystone-UID” or “Eddystone-URL.” Currently, Estimote Beacons can only broadcast one of these three options at a time, but you can switch between them freely.

You can do all of this using the latest version of the Estimote Android app from Google Play Store.

Estimote iOS app with an option to update the firmware to Eddystone-compatible 3.1.1 + an option to switch between iBeacon and Eddystone is coming early next month. You can however download the Estimote iOS SDK, build the “Examples” beacon project and use this one to update the firmware (“Update Firmware Demo”) and change the broadcasting scheme (“Beacon Settings Demo”).

Both the Estimote iOS SDK and Android SDK can already detect Eddystone beacons, just make sure you have the latest version.

Read more about how to get started with Estimote Beacons and SDKs and Eddystone on our Developer Portal:

http://developer.estimote.com/eddystone/

Thanks Piotr! I appreciate the help!

hi @heypiotr
Do i need to make any change in app coding of Demo App for making eddystone app of proximity or just update the firmware version as you mentioned!

The “Eddystone Demo” comes with an out-of-the-box support for scanning for Eddystone beacons, no changes in the code needed. Just update the firmware of your beacons and set them to broadcast one of the Eddystone packets (:

I moved 5 posts to a new topic: Adding Estimote’s analytics to an Android app