Eddystone support for older Beacons

I have some Estimote Beacons bought few months back. Does it support Eddystone spec in any way?

Yup, the only thing you need is to update the firmware (:

Detailed instructions here:

Hi,
i`ve tried to update to 3.1.1 but 3.0.1 is the last version i can install.
My hardware revision is D3.2. Is this beacon to old?

Best,
Achim

No, it’s not too old, every beacon we ever shipped can be updated to Eddystone.

It’s simply that our iOS app doesn’t yet support Eddystone—an update is on the way. In the meantime, you can either use our Android app to update to 3.1.1 and enable Eddystone, or download the iOS SDK, build the Examples beacon project, and use that to update your beacons’ firmware (“Firmware Update Demo”) and enable Eddystone (“Beacon Settings Demo”).

1 Like

Thanks for the info.

I updated the iOS app and now it includes the “Packet Type” option, the problem is that when I try to access it, I get an alert saying “Update firmware to use this feature” and when I try to update it on the “Firmware version” section it says that 3.0.1 is the latest version and my beacon is up to date. Any help, please?

iOS app 2.15.1 should be out shortly, and it fixes the firmware update issue.

In the meantime, you can use the Android app to update firmware to the latest version, w/ Eddystone support; or you can do it via the latest version of our iOS SDK. The easiest way to go about the latter is to use the Examples project bundled with the SDK.

One important thing: the latest firmware (3.2.0) introduces some changes to beacon authorization, so once you update to it (via the Android app or the iOS SDK / Examples), you won’t be able to connect to the beacon with the iOS app 2.15; you’ll need to wait for 2.15.1. You’ll still be able to connect to the beacon and modify its settings via the Android app and the iOS SDK / Examples.

I know all of this is a little bit confusing right now, as the iOS app release lags behind the SDK and Android (we simply have to wait for the app review), but once the updated (2.15.1) app goes out, everything will be back to normal. Sorry for the troubles and thank you for your continued patience!