If you’re building an app that uses Estimote Cloud API, leverages some unique features of our SDK, or connects directly to beacons (e.g. to update settings), you will need to use the App ID and App Token. Think of them as login and password to your Estimote Account that you put in code, so that Estimote Cloud can authenticate you and authorize access.
Exemplary cases where the App ID and App Token will be required:
- your app is requesting direct access to a beacon
- you’re connecting to a beacon with Estimote SDK
- you’re using Secure UUID
- you’re using Analytics
- your app is monitoring for someone else's beacons (see Infrastructure Sharing below).
Where do I find my App ID and App Token?
To get your App ID and App Token:
- log into Estimote Cloud at cloud.estimote.com
- navigate to the Apps section
- if you don’t have any apps yet, create one now. You can read more about apps elsewhere: Why do I need Apps in Estimote Cloud?
- The App ID and App Token are displayed under name of each app on the list.
Where in the code do I include the ID and Token?
To set App ID and App Token, use the following method in Estimote SDK:
// iOS [ESTConfig setupAppID:@"appid" andAppToken:@"apptoken"];
// Android EstimoteSDK.initialize(applicationContext, "YOUR APP ID", "YOUR APP TOKEN");
A good place to put this code in is:
- on iOS, your AppDelegate object and its
- on Android, the
onCreatemethod of your Application object. Example.
In some cases you might want someone else's apps to be able to detect your beacons. For example if an airport deploys a beacon network, it might want apps of airlines to be able to access those beacons. App ID is used for that along with a feature called Infrastructure Sharing.
Infrastructure Sharing is described in detail in another article: