Using Estimote for pushing a URL on iOS and Android

Hello,

We’re having an exhibition and I would like to use Estimote to push a URL to phones in the vicinity, without any native apps users might have.

On Android, I understand this is possible using the Eddystone protocol as described here:

My questions are as follows:

1. Is there a URL solution for Safari?

2. How many Estimotes do I need? Does 1 Estimote configured with Eddystone work for Chrome on both iOS and Android or do I need one for iOS and another one for Android?

3. Can the traffic sent my Estimotes be measured? 1 way is to build a UTM campaign URL but wondering if there’s any tracking in the Estimote app.

4. Does implementing this setup need any hard coding or is the App setup sufficient?

Thanks! Can’t wait to get started

Currently, there must always be an app to scan for nearby beacons, both on iOS and Android. The promise of Eddystone-URL is that eventually this requirement will go away, but as of today, sadly, that’s not yet true.

On iOS, Google has already added support for Eddystone-URL to Chrome’s “Today view” widget, just like shown on the screenshot in the blog post you mentioned. Android version of Chrome however doesn’t yet have such capability.

1. Is there a URL solution for Safari?

Not at this time I’m afraid, no.

1. How many Estimotes do I need? Does 1 Estimote configured with Eddystone work for Chrome on both iOS and Android or do I need one for iOS and another one for Android?

In case of Eddystone-URL and Chrome support, one beacon would be enough for both platforms. But then again, keep in mind Chrome on Android doesn’t yet support Eddystone-URL.

1. Can the traffic sent my Estimotes be measured? 1 way is to build a UTM campaign URL but wondering if there’s any tracking in the Estimote app.

The campaign URL would be the way to go. Speaking more broadly, apps that support beacons can track all kinds of analytics if they’re authors choose to implement such functionality. But since we’re mostly speaking about Chrome here, we’re not aware of any beacon analytics features in Chrome.

1. Does implementing this setup need any hard coding or is the App setup sufficient?

All you need to do is to configure your beacons to broadcast the Eddystone-URL, and set the appropriate URL. Both of which can be done with the Estimote app, no coding needed.

Hi @heypiotr

Thanks for the responses. So I think 1 Beacons pack should be good for my use case.
Any ETA on Eddystone URL support for Android if you know from Google / Android as you’re their partner?

My event is at the end of October. Do you think there will be progress on this by then?

Cheers,
Vilav

I’m afraid we don’t have any insider info in that matter. And even if we had, we couldn’t tell. :sweat: