Got mine from banggood - good or bad

Hi guys,
I ordered mine from banggood.com - estimote
and it arrived in a flimsy plastic bag. It had absolutely no instructions. Do you think they are selling used estimote beacons that are impossible to transfer?

Hi @dev_tester,

have you tried to connect to your beacon with the Android Estimote app’ (iOS here)?
Can the app’ see the beacons?

Hi @Ximun,
Yes I tried but the radar simply kept spinning. I tried with the beacon upright in case it was in power saving mode. I also noticed that the front clicks like a button so I clicked it once then twice. I also held the button down and an LED lit up. Then I released. I also rebooted my phone. I was almost about to open it but decided against it.

Do you have any suggestions?

It seems that you have an Location beacon with a but and a LED? I only have Proximity beacons…

I have the Estimote Beacon Type Bluetooth 4.0 Module NRF51822 Chipset IBeacon with Silicon Case

I’m really new to this so I don’t know the difference between the different models but if you click on the link in my original post, it will take you to all the specs. It is a blue rock beacon.

So this may be interesting. I downloaded a BLE detection app on my android device and both the Estimote and the Nordic IBeacon Sticker CC2640 where visible including their services. I then downloaded Evo Things Studio, went through the rigmarole of installing the viewer app and then I used their BLE scanner app and BLE Discovery app and both located the beacons. When I run the Eddystone Scan app it messages

Please move within range of Eddystone beacons.

which are right in front of me. So, reading the instructions I am instructed to perform an over-the-air firmware update in order to enable Eddystone protocol. But how do I do that if Estimote Cloud does not know about my device?

Hey,

the Estimote app’ recognizes the Estimote beacons with the ConfigurableDevice packets that are emitted.
Can you discover those packets with your own app’?
The ConfigurableDevice packets are always emitted, no matter how you set the settings.

[...]
beaconManager = new BeaconManager(context);
beaconManager.setConfigurableDevicesListener(new BeaconManager.ConfigurableDevicesListener() {
    @Override
    public void onConfigurableDevicesFound(List<ConfigurableDevice> list) {
        // Check here if the list is empty or not, and the devices fields like the MAC address
        [...]
});
[...]
beaconManager.startConfigurableDevicesDiscovery();
[...]

Hi @Ximun thanks for the reply.
This is the data that I get back with BLE Discovery app. First I’ll show you the Estimote App in the form of snapshots, lastly I’ll post the BLE Services displayed. I’m not sure yet how to handle that data type, hopefully you can point me in the right direction.