Big problems with Location (-SDK)

Hello we have a few problems with the Indoor Location:

The location is not very precise, but that wasn’t our problem. The SDK failed constantly to recognize that the user left the location. It jumped around a bit but the user needed to be very far away from the location to recognize the exit. (all demos with the Indoor Location App)

Another problem is the positioning of the beacons. We need to pin them to the ceiling a little bit out from the walls. This is not possible with the SDK.

Could we get some pointers, how this can be done?

The SDK failed constantly to recognize that the user left the location. It jumped around a bit but the user needed to be very far away from the location to recognize the exit. (all demos with the Indoor Location App)

Could you open a bug report on our GitHub? Dunno if you’re using the iOS or Android SDK. We generally tend to err on the side of caution and not report an indoor location exit until we’re really sure about it, but there might be some tweaking to do, or maybe a configuration option that allows for more responsive exits (but potentially more false positives).

Another problem is the positioning of the beacons. We need to pin them to the ceiling a little bit out from the walls. This is not possible with the SDK.

You can place the beacons at any arbitrary point inside the space via the addBeacon:withPosition: method of the Location Builder, instead of the addBeacon:atBoundarySegment: method:

http://estimote.github.io/iOS-Indoor-SDK/Classes/EILLocationBuilder.html#//api/name/addBeaconWithIdentifier:withPosition:

For Indoor Location, we generally recommend placing the beacons as close to the smartphones as possible, and that usually means between chest height and above-head height. If the ceiling is low enough, that might be fine, but if it’s pretty high, it will impact the accuracy.

I can try to replicate the error and open a Github. I unfortunately don’t have the location, where we tested it anymore, but I will work around that…

Yeah, maybe a setting in the app to trigger the exit more aggressively would be nice. In this usecase it would be better to report a false exit than a false entry but for other use cases that might not be the case…

For precision: In this use case we don’t need the exact location IN the room itself, we just need to know, if the user is INSIDE or OUTSIDE the room…

Ahem, :wink: I didn’t see this method :wink:

If you are interested in enter/exit with Indoor Location, consider also putting the beacons next to the doors. If you can put them just above the door that will probably work best.
And if both rooms are in the same location, you can do that from both sides.