Indoor Location in a real Environment

Hello,

I was planning to use indoor location in a museum. Since all demonstrations on the Internet take place in more or less simple room structures without any obstacles in it, I wonder how reliable the naviagtion is in “real” rooms.

I have bought 9 beacons in total but even in the simplest constellation (small square room) the navigation marker jumps all over the place.

It is unlikly that all beacons could be placed on the same height because the museum has a lot of custom shaped exhibition structures.

To avoid any more efforts that might lead to a dead end I would like to ask if anybody had used indoor navigation in a museum before and got it to work in a sufficient way. I it possible or do beacons simply not cut it?

Hi Mathis,

We’re constantly working on improving the mapping and positioning algorithms. Currently they work best in rooms of fairly standard, rectangular shape. However, placing the beacons at the same height would really help. Also, it’s best to use Indoor Location in places that do not have strong magnetic disturbance (it can be caused by reinforced pillars, RF leakage etc.). We’re currently working on methods to counter magnetic disturbance, so next few releases should make it better.

Can you tell me if you tried building the location with Indoor Location SDK (the Locatonbuilder) instead of the app? The app’s mapping tool is great for quickly creating a map to test with, but when preparing to create an actual, working app, it’s better to use the Locationbuilder. It allows for a much greater degree of precision.

Cheers.

1 Like

We’ve had similar trouble just getting one location added using the Indoor Location app. I suspected it was an issue with the regularity of the space (we were getting an error related to drawing the polygon), but even after numerous attempts to correct, still no luck.

Can you post a rough sketch of what your space looks like?

You can always construct the location yourself via our Indoor SDK, using the ESTLocationBuilder:

This StackOverflow thread should also come helpful in understanding how to use it: