There are two kinds of Estimote Beacons: Estimote Proximity Beacons and Estimote Location Beacons.
The current version of Estimote Proximity Beacons (hardware revision D3.4) ships with a 1000 mAh CR2477 coin battery and default settings of 950 ms Advertising Interval, -12 dBm Broadcasting Power, and Smart Power Mode feature enabled. It allows for two years of battery life.Location Beacons (hardware revision F2.3) are shipped with 1000 mAh CR2477 coin battery, the default settings are 950 ms Advertising Interval, -10 dBm Broadcasting Power with Smart Power Mode on. It offers five years of battery life.In practice, battery performance depends on a number of factors:
- Flip to Sleep: beacon is mute when its on its back
- Motion Only: beacon is mute when it’s still
- Motion UUID: beacon is always on (therefore does not conserve battery), but broadcasts a different UUID when in motion
- Broadcasting Power can range from -30 dBm to +4 dBm
- Advertising Interval can range from 100 ms to 2000 ms
In general, the greater the power, the bigger the beacon's range, and the shorter its lifetime. Advertising interval describes how frequently a beacon broadcasts its signal. As you lower the interval, the "blinks" become more frequent and the signal becomes more stable. The battery, however, is drained much faster with a shorter interval.
![image](upload://t6pjzmGTozTRwmynB8rSjFfwN6Q.PNG) Replacing the battery
If your beacons have already run out of juice, nothing to worry about — you can easily replace the dead battery!
We are shipping beacons with removable enclosures now. You can simply replace the battery by removing the white adhesive, and removing the PCB through the Y-shaped (H-shaped for Location Beacons) hole in the beacon's base.
If you bought Estimote Beacons before December 2015, you'll need to follow this flow:
- You're going to need a sharp object to be able to cut the beacon open.
- Buy a new battery - 1000 mAh CR2477 coin battery (600 mAh CR2450 if you have hardware revision D3.3 or older).
- Hold the beacon firmly with one hand, and cut along the top of the enclosure. Be extra careful!
- Now you can remove the PCB through the hole and simply slide the old battery out from under the battery holder and replace it with the new one. The "+" side should be facing up.
- Reach out to us at email@example.com and provide us with your shipping address. We will send you free enclosures to reskin your beacons.