UWB Beacon, positioning vector meaning

no category for this

I am using the UWB beacons, in the sdk is a callback for position change notification,

one of the callback values is an Optional variable labeled ‘vector’,

which has values for three components, x, y and z. all three which are float numbers (w decimal point) and so far, have all been less than 1. usually at least one value has been negative
(I posted some samples in the other topic
UWB Beacons not ranging or positioning, fixed - #4 by sdetweil)

my impression is that these values can be used to construct a pointer to the beacon identified in the reported info of the callback.

except all the numbers are less than 1. which means they are representative of something, not absolute values.

typically, in a Cartesian coordinate system,
you would have either angles from the tail, or distances from the tail. (tail=phone)

but the sdk doesn’t provide any documentation on the apis or callbacks, or values

anyone know what x,y, and z mean?

is it
left/right, x
up/down, y
forward/back, z
or some other orientation

vector definition leaves that up to the constructor developer.

and what do the values mean? they are not distance, as distance is provided as part of this same callback.

the Estimote UWB app on app store uses these values to point to the beacon, in radar mode, and I’d like to do the same.

1 Like

I don’t know for certain, but have a hunch that this is just returning the “direction” vector from iOS NearbyInteraction framework. Documentation is available here: Apple Developer Documentation

1 Like

thanks, I had discovered this a few days ago.

been w grandkids last week sick this week, travel for the next week…

some of the Cartesian vector algorithms don’t validate the data reported.

for someone else trying to utilize the info provided,

this all works

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/nearbyinteraction/ninearbyobject/3601347-direction

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/nearbyinteraction/initiating_and_maintaining_a_session