Can't detect beacons with Samsung Galaxy S3 and S5

I integrated Estimote Android SDK into my project. The client purchased several Estimote beacons.
Now I can detect them with Google Nexus and Asus Zenfone 6 but can’t do it with Samsung devices and Lenovo.
Android version: 4.3, 4.4 and 5.0.
Estomote SDK: 0.6.1

Also, I installed the nRF Master Control Panel (BLE) app. It detects beacons on Samsung S3 eventhough OS didn’t recognise them.

Please advise.

Which Samsung devices? S3 only?
With nRF Master Control Panel, can you do following as described here: Device Compatibility

Samsung Galaxy S3 and Samsung Galaxy S5.
nRF Master app shows all information of my beacons.

@Vlad can you post screenshots with details of them?

The snap-shot from Samsung Galaxy S3:

Snap-shots from Lenovo A328:

We have updated our SDK to v0.7 which makes significant updates to speed of discovery of beacons. There was a bug which might have affected you on those devices. Can you give it a try?

Hi Wiktor,

Thank you for your help. It works now. However, the detection is not so fast as with Google Nexus.

@Vlad

There are 2 things you can do in order to speed up discovery:
1/ Decrease advertising interval of the beacon. By default it is 950 ms, with Estimote app you can set it to 300ms.
2/ BeaconManager by default returns result every 1 second. You can configure it to return results more ofter via setForegroudScanPeriods.

Hi Wiktor,

My samsung S5 don’t recognize any beacon I put 3 beacons in 3 different parts and try to walk near this beacons with the app open but nothing happens also I have a beacon near me and it pass 20 minutes and the app didn’t find the beacon.

My samsung S5 don’t recognize any beacon I put 3 beacons in 3 different parts and try to walk near this beacons with the app open

More screen shots

@Vlad Can you remove Estimote app from your device add side load attached one to this post? Click on devices to see radar screen.

Than can you dump logs from device with EstimoteSDK tag and post them here? I want to check why beacons are not picked up.

mainapp-debug.apk.zip (7.3 MB)

Wiktor,

Log file from Lenovo A328. The operation system sees beacons but my app does not.
Estimote test app logs…zip (25.5 KB)

@Vlad This Lenovo looks very strange. It returns list of Bluetooth Low Energy devices but packet that is sent from our beacon looks truncated. We observed similar thing on Micromax devices.

1/ Does your up24 band works with this device?
2/ Can you rerun this test for Samsung S5 as nRF Master Control Panel shows properly packet from our beacons.

1. I don’t have fitness bracelet.
  2. My client has Samsung S5 but can’t debug the device. So he can’t read log files from system. In order to read logs he need root access to the system. What do you recommend?

BTW: Samsung S3 detects beacons sometimes, sometimes no.

No, he does not need root access.

Just remove Estimote app, install app that I gave you (can be via email), then he need to collect logs via adb logcat.

Done with logcat:

I/Timeline(17114): Timeline: Activity_idle id: android.os.BinderProxy@2f1c1819 time:6545454
D/ViewRootImpl(17114): ViewPostImeInputStage ACTION_DOWN
V/BitmapFactory(17114): DecodeImagePath(decodeResourceStream3) : res/drawable-xxhdpi-v4/ic_media_play.png
I/Timeline(17114): Timeline: Activity_idle id: android.os.BinderProxy@2f1c1819 time:6590817
I/Timeline(17114): Timeline: Activity_idle id: android.os.BinderProxy@2f1c1819 time:6618693
V/BitmapFactory(17114): DecodeImagePath(decodeResourceStream3) : res/drawable-xxhdpi-v4/ic_ab_back_holo_dark_am.png
V/BitmapFactory(17114): DecodeImagePath(decodeResourceStream3) : res/drawable-xxhdpi-v4/sym_def_app_icon.png
D/AbsListView(17114): Get MotionRecognitionManager
D/Activity(17114): performCreate Call secproduct feature valuefalse
D/Activity(17114): performCreate Call debug elastic valuetrue
I/Timeline(17114): Timeline: Activity_idle id: android.os.BinderProxy@127f83a1 time:6630637
V/BitmapFactory(17114): DecodeImagePath(decodeResourceStream3) : res/drawable-xxhdpi-v4/ic_menu_share.png
V/BitmapFactory(17114): DecodeImagePath(decodeResourceStream3) : res/drawable-xxhdpi-v4/ic_menu_save.png
V/BitmapFactory(17114): DecodeImagePath(decodeResourceStream3) : res/drawable-xxhdpi-v4/ic_menu_preferences.png
D/AbsListView(17114): Get MotionRecognitionManager

When it comes to S3, are you able to dump logs when beacons are not detected? What is beacons’ advertising interval?