Advice on an specific development

Hello.

I would like your advice for an specific type of app. Our plan is to distribute an app, person by person (i.e. not massively thru the app store) that includes some interactivity based on beacons. We would give the beacons to the persons and/or organizations interested , should we say, “by hand”.
The question is, can we do that with stickers? They are small, more dynamic, and of course, cheaper :slight_smile: But our experience is only with the beacons sdk, and our time to learn how to use the sticker is very limited.
What would you recommend?

Thanks.

Are we talking iOS or Android here? (: If iOS, then I’m just curious, how do you plan to do this “by hand”? Enterprise certificate? Keep in mind that if Apple learns you’re distributing apps widely outside your company, they might revoke your certificate.

As for the stickers question, it’s best to decide depending on your use case. Read more in our “beacons vs stickers” comparison:

If you account for the shorter battery life, stickers have the same amortized cost as beacons—it’s 10 stickers w/ 1 year of battery life each for $99 (= 10 years total), and 3 beacons w/ 3+ years of battery life for $99 too (= 9+ years total). Again, best to pick whatever’s best for your use case, and don’t look at the price, because we calculated it to be roughly the same, once accounted for the battery life.

Don’t worry, our app will be in the apple store, with “by hand” i was referring to the device, sticker or beacon :smile:
We are talking IOS, and our worry is based in that we only have a little experience with the beacons sdk, not with the stickers. For example, can it be done that the app do the same thing no matter what sticker is detected, like we can do with the uuid of beacons? Also, our app will be distributed with min IOS version of 7.1, can this be done with stickers? And we are talking of objective-c, not swift (for now).

Thanks!

can it be done that the app do the same thing no matter what sticker is detected, like we can do with the uuid of beacons?

Yup, you need to use the ESTNearableManager’s startRangingForType, and simply use ESTNearableTypeAll.

Also, our app will be distributed with min IOS version of 7.1, can this be done with stickers?

Yup, our SDK’s minimum requirement is iOS 7.0, for both beacons and stickers.

Thank you very much for your tips

1 Like