How to get broadcasted RSSI?

Hi,
I was trying to get broadcasted RSSI from iBeacon hardware at any point in time.

Whatever we receive it on iPhone receiver is after loss/attenuation because of environment, etc.

I wanted to know the delta between brodcasted RSSI and received RSSI at time X.

is this feasible ?

Could anyone provide any thoughts around ?

Thanks,
Sathiyanarayanan

Hi!

I'm not sure if I understand your question, but I suggest reading about TxPower, RSSI and Measured Power here:
https://community.estimote.com/hc/en-us/articles/201636913-Signal-Power-TxPower-RSSI-and-Measured-Power

Let me know, if that answers your question.

Thanks for your response.

I wanted to have 2 parameters at time X
1. Received RSSI from a beacon - This is what iPhone as a receiver receives it.
2. Transmitted RSSI from beacon - This is something that iBeacon hardware transmits at the same time X

Now, point 1 is available through the SDK. How can I get point 2. Are there any mechanism available, that can be queried to retrieve it.

Other subsequent question that I had was
1. Will transmitted power vary based on battery level. Say RSSI at 100% battery and at 25% battery, will it vary or be the same ?

Hi Sathiyanarayanan,

RSSI (Received Signal Strength Indicator) is all about the strength of the received signal.

The "transmitted RSSI" is the Broadcasting Power property and is constant at all times, no matter the battery level. You can read it using our Estimote app or through the SDK -- it's the broadcastingPower property of an ESTBeacon object.

Hope this helps!

hello @heypiotr
I’m wonder of you can help me get a python repository that gives me the ability to read and log rssi values of my estimotes? I’ve come across this repository https://github.com/cbelden/pybeacon but I keep getting this below error message wgen I run the run.py file
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “run.py”, line 5, in
dh = FileHandler(’/home/pi/pybeacon_records/debug/output.log’)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/logging/init.py”, line 913, in init
StreamHandler.init(self, self._open())
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/logging/init.py”, line 943, in _open
stream = open(self.baseFilename, self.mode)
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ‘/home/pi/pybeacon_records/debug/output.log’