Android 4.4 Nearable Discovery

Hi! I’m currently working on an a project that uses 3 simple android devices (Alcatel Pixi 3(4)), in key reference points, to track RSSI readings from Estimote Stickers and calculate their approximate position using trilateration.

The Stickers are broadcasting the Nearable packet, at 0 dBm, in 1 second intervals while still, and 500 ms if in motion.

The devices have Android 4.4.2 and Bluetooth 4.0 as required, and can detect the Stickers through both the Estimote app and the app I’m currently working on.

However after around half a minute it will stop detecting on either app. It will usually detect again after a couple of minutes or if I reset the Bluetooth.

Currently in the app, I’ve made it so that the bluetooth adapter turns on and off in 20 second period, but this is not a reliable solution.

Any idea on why the drop in discovery occurs and how can I make the detection more reliable?

Could you try some other Android device and see if it shows the same problem? I wonder if this might be an issue with these Alcatels.

I was unable to test with other Android 4.4 Devices, only 5.0 and above. With those devices, with a more recent android version, there’s no need to reset bluetooth, they all detect the Stickers without issue, so I’m assuming it might be an issue with the android version. I will try to see if I can find some other 4.4 phones to do the testing.

It does seem that the issue really is due to the Alcatels. In other 4.4 devices I found no issues. Currently trying to change nearable settings to transmit eddystone instead of nearable packets to see if that solves the issue.

A final update to this issue. I never did manage to make the phones detect the Nearable packets in a stable manner. I’ve changed the Stickers settings so that they could broadcast EddystoneURL packets and those have been working wonderfully. With Nearable packets I would have to shake the Stickers in order for them to be detected but not so with Eddystone. After a first connection it will receive all packets from then on. Since I only needed the RSSI values it perfectly serves it’s purpose.

@Freir, thanks a lot for that thorough update! We are really happy to hear that you’ve managed to solve that issue and keep our fingers crossed for further project’s progress. :slight_smile: