New generation of Estimote Beacons is here!

Meet Estimote Location Beacons!

Read more on our blog: Launching the Most Robust Location Beacons on the Market

Pre-order a dev kit of 3 Location Beacons for $99 now to be among the first that’ll get them. Shipping will start in March 2016.

We’ve also cut the price of our current generation of beacons, now called Proximity Beacons. You can buy a dev kit of 3 Proximity Beacons for $59. These are still being shipped daily.

Read about the difference between Location Beacons and Proximity Beacons on our Community Portal: Estimote Proximity Beacons vs Estimote Location Beacons

Any questions about Proximity or Location Beacons? Reply to this post, and we’ll answer them shortly!

Full feature list of the Location Beacons:

• 7 years default battery life (3 years in iBeacon mode)
  • Simultaneous advertising of iBeacon, Eddystone, and additional packets (with different broadcasting power and advertising interval)
  • Estimote Telemetry packets (sensor data, GPIO, battery status)
  • Generic Advertiser with custom packets capability
  • Built-in sensors (temperature, motion, light, magnetometer)
  • Additional 1Mb EEPROM memory
  • Conditional Broadcasting (Flip to Sleep, Dark to Sleep)
  • Separate connectivity packet (advertising iBeacon/Eddystone while connected)
  • Improved secure authentication and software update
  • Real-Time Clock & scheduled advertising (radio off outside business hours)
  • GPIO slot for prototyping connected objects
  • Pre-configuration during manufacturing (packet types, IDs, Tx power and other parameters configurable during ordering)
  • Shipped with brand new SDK 4.0 for iOS and Android
  • Full Indoor Location SDK support
  • Compatibility with Estimote Cloud and remote management
  • Intelligent prototyping and deployment adhesive tape
  • Water resistant and eco-friendly reusable enclosures
3 Likes

Hi,
I have a few questions about these new Beacons.

Does the accelerometer inside the Beacons let us know the acceleration on 3 axis or only if the beacon is moving?

Is the Indoor Location available for Android??

What are the changes introduced by the new SDK 4.0 for Android?? And where can I find it? I can’t find it on github.

Thanks!

Hello,

I am some more questions. Will they be compatible with old beacons, meaning will they can be used simultaneous with each other?

Best regards,
Adrian

Does the accelerometer inside the Beacons let us know the acceleration on 3 axis or only if the beacon is moving?

In the Telemetry packet, you get:

• raw readings on all 3 axis
  • binary “moving or not”
  • if the beacon is moving, for how long, and how long it previously was motionless
  • if the beacon is not moving, for how long, and how long it previously was in motion

Is the Indoor Location available for Android??

Unfortunately, not yet. This is more about the Android ecosystem itself (lots of devices each with different Bluetooth characteristics) than our beacon hardware. However, we’re exploring a few options on how to bring Indoor Location to Android, so stay tuned!

What are the changes introduced by the new SDK 4.0 for Android?? And where can I find it? I can’t find it on github.

We’re still putting final polish on the updated iOS and Android SDKs for the new beacons. These SDKs will be fully compatible with the current versions, and will simply add support for connecting to and configuring the new beacons and parsing the new packets (Estimote Telemetry, etc.)

I am some more questions. Will they be compatible with old beacons, meaning will they can be used simultaneous with each other?

Absolutely. The Location Beacons and the Proximity Beacons are both fully compatible with iBeacon and Eddystone standards, so any iBeacon/Eddystone code you have today will continue to work with the Location Beacons.

3 Likes

Hello,

I would like to buy the new Location beacons kit for trying indoor location navigation demo.
Are you shipping them now? I saw its still mentioned as pre-order.

Thanks,
Nitin

We’re currently gathering pre-orders, but we’ll start shipping in about 2 weeks, so it won’t be long! (:

Please remember we’re shipping on a first-come-first-served basis, and we already have a small backlog, so the sooner you place your pre-order, the sooner you’ll get your Location Beacons!

Will it be any update to the Xamarin Component for Android & iOS to support this?

Last SDK version in components store is over 6 months old. :disappointed:

Luckily, because Location Beacons (“new”) broadcast the very same iBeacon and Eddystone packets that Proximity Beacons (“current”) do, the older SDKs will detect them just fine.

You only need to use the new SDKs if you:

• want to detect any of the new packets (Estimote Location, Estimote Telemetry, more about these here)
  • want to connect to and configure the Location Beacons from your app

The Xamarin components are not developed by us, so you might want to ping the maintainer to learn if they’re planning to updater their bindings. (And if you do, feel free to share here, for the rest of the Estimote community to know as well :wink:.)

Just ordered the location beacon dev kit!
There’s a note in the indoor location sdk that says needs 4 beacons, but the new locaiton beacon dev kit has 3 beacons. Will I be able to dev indoor location apps using the location beacon dev kit?

1 Like

Glad to hear that, I’m sure you’ll love them! :slight_smile: Let us know any and all feedback, any ideas and use cases you have for them, etc. (you can hit me up directly at: piotr@estimote.com)

Indoor Location requires a minimum of one beacon per wall, and more in bigger rooms, in order to achieve the promised 1 m accuracy. You can, however, still map a space with just three beacons via the Indoor SDK, here’s a guide:

http://developer.estimote.com/indoor/map-your-location/#the-advanced-way-location-builder

Once you map your room with just 3 beacons, I’d recommend to switch to the Indoor Light mode:

And later if it turns out your use case really requires the best possible accuracy, just ping us, and we’ll be happy to get you more beacons at a great price!

Hi, I’m new in this community.
If I order Location Beacons,
do they come with the UWB or do I have to purchase specific beacons?

Regards!

The Location Beacons w/ UWB are currently a separate product, priced at $159, and with 4 beacons in a kit. You can pre-order them at estimote.com/uwb, and we expect to start shipping by the end of Q1.

The Long-Range Location Beacons is the latest, immediately available generation—they don’t have UWB, come in packs of 3, cost $99, you can order them at http://estimote.com/#location-beacons, and you should get them within a week.

Hi,

I am developing a project where we would like a Location Beacon to switch on and off in response to an external switch. Can we use the GPIO to power up and power down the device?

In other words, the beacon will be dead or sleeping until the switch is activated. It will switch on when the switch is activated, and will go dead again when the switch is turned off.

Regards,
Marc

Hi @oz9hz,

follow the GPIO ports tutorials to understand what you can really do with this ports.

It seems that what you want to do is exactly what is explained :wink:

Yup, just remove the battery from the beacon, and instead provide 3 V power via the GPIO Vcc port.

You got me curious though, what’s the project about? (:

Hi, just received my location beacons specifically to use the magnetometer, however, I am only getting zeros:sweat: on all axes. Help please

Hello! Are there patent issues with developing an attendance app using iBeacon? Thank you.
Mike Beeson