How to let users link their own Estimote Beacons?

I am building a consumer app for iOS. It won’t require beacons but as an option I want users to be able to link their own Estimote beacons. The idea is to show a launch notification to the app when being nearby the iBeacon.

1. Can I still count on all Estimote Beacons coming with one fixed default UUID? Would you recommend hardcoding this UUID?
  2. If I want the user be able to pick a specific beacon from their Estimote cloud, is there an existing flow for this I can adapt (showing a website controller, login, returning the selected beacon credentials). Do you have examples for this?

How do you currently recommend letting the user pick their own Estimote Beacons (or even Nearables)?

Can I still count on all Estimote Beacons coming with one fixed default UUID?

Yup.

Would you recommend hardcoding this UUID?

“Good enough,” naturally won’t work if somebody changes their UUID (;

If I want the user be able to pick a specific beacon from their Estimote cloud, is there an existing flow for this I can adapt (showing a website controller, login, returning the selected beacon credentials). Do you have examples for this?

We support OAuth to allow 3rd party apps to access Estimote Cloud on behalf of their users. The only catch is, we’ve only implemented the web flow for now, since we developed this mostly with web beacon CMSes in mind. So you’d need to have some web app to issue an OAuth call, and get an HTTP callback in return, with a token that would allow you to query the Cloud API on behalf of the user.

(or even Nearables)

Nearables are much easier, because you can always detect any Nearable packets in range.