My Estimote beacon is set with transmission power of +4dBm and advertisement interval of 302ms. RSSI value displayed on iOS device is normal until a distance of 10 meters from the beacon. However beyond it, RSSI value starts increasing (from -104dBm to -47dBm / -38dBm /-17dBm etc) and sometime settles at 0dBm. Since, I am trying to convert the RSSI value to distance manually, this unexpected value is creating a problem. What could be the solution? Thank you.
Could you provide us with the details listed below?
- iOS device models you’re experiencing the problem with
- iOS versions
- beacon settings: advertising interval, broadcasting power, power modes
- battery level
- environment in which the issue manifests itself: distance to the beacon, any potential sources of interference etc.
- does minimizing Bluetooth usage by other apps help?
- does unpairing any wireless headsets, fitness trackers and other Bluetooth devices from the phone help?
I’ve checked with three different iOS devices,the details are:
- iOS devices: iPhone 4S (two devices) and 5S
- iOS versions: iOS 8.1.3 (1st 4S device), iOS 8.2 (2nd 4S) and iOS 8.2 (5S)
- beacon settings:
i) advertising interval: 308 ms (2 beacons), 307 ms(3 beacons) and 302 ms (1 beacon) -total 6 beacons
ii) broadcasting power: +4dBm
iii) I could not find power modes in Estimote App.
- battery level: Estimated Battery Life is shown in a range of 250- 372 days among six beacons.
- Problem starts when the distance to beacons exceeds 10m. Potential interference: There are two nano cells (installed by telecom service provider) and two wifi routers nearby. I don’t think nano cell and wifi router could interfere.
- No other App use Bluetooth.
- No wireless headsets, fitness trackers or any Bluetooth devices paired with the iOS device during experiment.
Thank you for your time and considerations.