Not able to read/write from/to beacon storage

I’m using Android SDK and I’m trying to read from or write into beacon storage. I’m able to connect to a beacon using DeviceConnection but when I try to read/write from/to beacon storage, I get error Error INVALID_REGISTER_ID ,register=3040). I’m not sure what does this error mean.

Below is the code snippet I’m using.

`

@Override
public void onConfigurableDevicesFound(List<ConfigurableDevice> configurableDevices) {
Log.d(TAG, "onConfigurableDevicesFound");
    for (ConfigurableDevice configurableDevice : configurableDevices) {
        String deviceId = configurableDevice.deviceId.toHexString();
        if (deviceId.equalsIgnoreCase("<device id of a device I'm trying to connect to>")) {
            mBeaconManager.stopConfigurableDevicesDiscovery();
            mConnectionProvider = new DeviceConnectionProvider(this);
            mConnectionProvider.connectToService(new DeviceConnectionProvider.ConnectionProviderCallback() {
                @Override
                public void onConnectedToService() {
                    Log.d(TAG, "onConnectedToService");
                    final DeviceConnection connection = mConnectionProvider.getConnectionForStorageRead(configurableDevice);
                    connection.connect(new DeviceConnectionCallback() {
                        @Override
                        public void onConnected() {
                            Log.d(TAG, "onConnected");
                            Map<String, String> map = new HashMap<>();
                            map.put("<some key>", "some value");
                            if (connection.isConnected()) {
                                connection.settings.storage.writeStorage(map, new StorageManager.WriteCallback() {
                                    @Override
                                    public void onSuccess() {
                                        Log.d(TAG, "onSuccess");
                                        connection.close();
                                    }

@Override
                                    public void onFailure(DeviceConnectionException exception) {
                                        Log.d(TAG, "onFailure:" + exception.getLocalizedMessage());
                                    }
                                });
                            }
                        }

@Override
                        public void onDisconnected() {
                            Log.d(TAG, "onDisconnected");
                        }

@Override
                        public void onConnectionFailed(DeviceConnectionException exception) {
                            Log.d(TAG, "onConnectionFailed:" + exception.getLocalizedMessage());
                        }
                    });
                }
            });
        }
    }
}`

It seems that your beacon does not support storage. Not all Estimote beacons have this feature. Can you check your beacon’s firmware and hardware version?

Thank you for the reply. How do I know if my beacon supports storage? My beacon firmware version is 4.9.4 and hardware version is G1.8. According to documentation, beacons having firmware version 4.9.0+ do support storage APIs.

Hi, I am getting the same error what you got. How did you resolve this?

As mentioned previously it usually means that your beacon does not have Flash memory IC for storage. You need to buy a Location Beacon or UWB Beacon: https://estimote.com/products/
To be sure please check if your beacon supports Flash storage:
https://community.estimote.com/hc/en-us/articles/204092986-Technical-specification-of-Estimote-Beacons-and-Stickers

Hi

Thanks for the update. However after I change below line
final DeviceConnection connection = mConnectionProvider.getConnectionForStorageRead(configurableDevice);

to
final DeviceConnection connection = mConnectionProvider.getConnection(configurableDevice);

able to store the data. However I am getting into other issue that I can’t access beacon using android mobile without internet. Do you have any suggestions for this?

You can access beacon for data read without internet connection. You need to use getConnectionForStorageRead and you may leave app ID and app token as empty strings: EstimoteSDK.initialize(applicationContext, “”, “”);
If you want to store data, you need to use mConnectionProvider.getConnection(configurableDevice); and you need internet connection because beacons needs to be authorized with the Cloud.
Similar topic was already covered here: Tried to read 1mb storage with android