Getting magnetometer data through Android SDK

Hello,
we just received Estimote development Kit with Location Beacons. We accessed data from the estimote telemetry broadcast. Accelerometer, ambientLight and temperature data were read with ease. However data from magnetometer come as (0.0, 0.0, 0.0).

Is this implemented in the Android SDK? Or are those data even broadcasted from the beacon?

Beacons in question:
Firmware Version
Hardware Version
F2.3

EstimoteSDK
0.12.0@aar

Thanks,
Jan

That’s weird, let me look into it!

(Out of curiosity, what are you trying to use the magnetometer data for? :slight_smile:)

Getting the same here, with Android SDK 0.13.0: Mag returns (0.00,0.00,0.00), while Accelerometer gives proper data.

I just purchased 3 location beacons and I’m having the same problem with all of them. I purchase the beacons specifically for the magnetometer:

Magnetometer is returning (0.00,0.00,0.00)

Android SDK 0.13.0:
Firmware Version: 4.6.1
Hardware Version: F3.3

This thread is nearly 2 months old with no resolution, can someone provide an update/workaround please.

In addition the Vector class in the Android SDK has the X,Y,Z instance variables set to private which is not very helpful. I would have thought that both these issues would have been exposed during basic testing.

Hello,
on 30th September I got following response to this issue from estimote via e-mail:

“At this point, we are working on adding magnetometer documentation to our SDK, and it’s not available yet.”

Hope this helps someone.

Jan

Thanks JanP for sharing.

I would like to know Estimote’s official position here. This page http://estimote.com/products/ clearly states that location beacons support magnetometer and that Android is a supported platform.

If this has been a known problem for nearly 2 months why has there been no fix?

Hi everyone, I am having the same issue (0.00,0.00,0.00) trying to use the magnetometer with Android. I am on OS 4.13.1 and hardware F3.3. Any help would be appreciated