Basic Power Saving Mode

I have been looking at the documentation and while I can get an intuitive grasp of what the Smart Power Saving mode does, I’m a bit unsure about the Basic Power Saving Mode.

What does it actually do? Does it only affect the connection between the Estimote App/SDK when it is changing the beacon’s configuration or does it also make beacon discovery and ranging slower?

Thanks in advance for any tips concerning this topic.

Basic Power Mode only affects the time it takes to connect to a beacon. It doesn’t affect anything after the connection has been established, and it surely doesn’t affect any regular iBeacon features such as ranging or monitoring.

AND, in our newly released Location Beacons, the Basic Power Mode is basically built-in, because in firmware 4.x, we have a dedicated packet used for connecting to a beacon. (You can read more about the array of packets available in Location Beacons on our blog.)

Thanks for the reply. That said, I can assume that if I’m only using the beacons to detect their presence (reading their UUID, Major and Minor) and react to that as fast as possible, enabling Basic Power Saving will not slow things down, or make it less reliable. It will only mess with the speed at which I read/write Estimote specific data through the Estimote App or SDK. Are these assumptions correct?

if I’m only using the beacons to detect their presence (reading their UUID, Major and Minor) and react to that as fast as possible, enabling Basic Power Saving will not slow things down, or make it less reliable

Correct!

It will only mess with the speed at which I read/write Estimote specific data through the Estimote App or SDK.

Actually, it’ll only slow down the speed of the initial connection. After you’re connected to the beacon, the speed of reading/writing settings is not affected by the Basic Power Mode.