Android Power Mode Accuracy Tradeoff

The Android SDK advertises three power modes. The lowest, lowPowerMode, includes the following documentation:

Proximity observer will use battery efficient mode, but the scanning won’t be super reliable.

Can anyone provide a bit more details about what it means to not be “super reliable”? Specifically, I’m curious about distinguishing between the following two scenarios:

1. Non-super reliability means that entry and exit events and detected eventually, but may be delayed
  2. Non-super reliability means that entry and exit events may be missed entirely, even if the device remains within (or outside the) range of a beacon

For some context, my use case is detecting when people enter and leave a room. But we expect them to be there for a while when they do arrive, and it’s not critical to detect their entry immediately: even a minute or two of entry and exit latency would be acceptable and a good tradeoff for decreased power consumption. (Based on some informal power profiling, the energy consumption of “balanced” mode is not quite what I would consider acceptable…)